HONOLULU (KHON2) — An alarming number of crashes involving pedestrians on Oahu has city officials on high alert.
The most recent pedestrian crash occurred on Tuesday, March 4, when an 81-year-old man was hospitalized in critical condition.
Honolulu police said the man attempted to cross Ward Ave within a marked crosswalk when he fell.
Officials added that he was out of the line of sight of a 32-year-old male driver, who proceeded to travel northbound before running over the pedestrian.
According to HPD Police Chief Joe Logan, Oahu saw 19 pedestrian-related traffic fatalities in 2024, including nine other pedestrians critically injured.
“Many of those fatalities were from individuals who were walking against the ‘Don’t Walk’ sign or they were at unmarked crosswalks,” said Chief Logan.
So far in 2025, Oahu has seen six pedestrian-related traffic fatalities. Four other individuals have been critically injured.
Chief Logan said HPD’s Traffic Division is working on bringing more awareness for pedestrians and drivers.
Check out more news from around Hawaii
“The pedestrian and driver should make eye contact and that’s what the educational piece is,” Chief Logan added.

